South Fork Initiative: An Initiative of the Henry's Fork Foundation
Why the South Fork of the Snake River?
Many of us, on our adventures in Henry’s Fork country, have also taken a trip south to explore the South Fork of the Snake River (SFSR). However, during your travels you might not have realized how interconnected flows and management of the Henry’s Fork are to the SFSR. The SFSR from Palisades Dam to the Henry’s Fork confluence is roughly 60 miles long, supports robust populations of Yellowstone Cutthroat Trout, Rainbow Trout, and Brown Trout, and flows through cottonwood stands, canyons, and a braided floodplain. Management of the SFSR system, especially in regards to water management, can directly affect streamflow in the Henry’s Fork.
So, when a group of SFSR outfitters and concerned citizens approached HFF and asked us to expand our brand of research and collaboration to the SFSR, we took note. After serious consideration, HFF has launched the South Fork Initiative (SFI) project. Not only will this new endeavor provide the opportunity to influence broad-scale water management for the benefit of the Henry’s Fork and the SFSR, maintaining a healthy SFSR fishery will help disperse fishing pressure and ensure great fishing opportunities for both rivers. Funding for SFI related projects comes directly from grants and donations designated for the SFI. Donations and funds for the Henry’s Fork are not, and will not, be used for SFI projects. If you’d like to support the SFI by making an additional donation for the SFI, please click here.
To conserve, protect, and restore the unique fisheries, wildlife, and aesthetic qualities of the South Fork of the Snake River and its watershed for all individuals and for future generations.
Through data driven decisions, collaboration, and innovative solutions, the South Fork Initiative intends to be the unified voice of conservation and restoration for the South Fork of the Snake River Watershed.
This vision was established through the shared values of numerous river stakeholders and will continue to strengthen as the initiative matures.
- Develop a strong voice in water management through water quality and water quantity monitoring and research
- Provide technical and financial support for fisheries and riparian habitat projects
- Collaborate with agencies, organizations, individuals, and other stakeholders to conserve the South Fork of the Snake River Watershed
- Collaborate with partners on a variety of restoration projects, fisheries research, macroinvertebrate sampling, and high-resolution water quality and quantity monitoring
Supporting Organizations and Agencies
- Bureau of Land Management
- Friends of the Teton River
- Greater Yellowstone Coalition
- Henry's Fork Anglers
- Idaho Fish and Game
- Jimmy's All Season Angler
- Lodge at Palisades Creek
- The Nature Conservancy
- South Fork Lodge
- Snake River Cutthroats
- Teton Regional Land Trust
- Teton Valley Lodge
- Three Rivers Ranch
- Trout Unlimited
- U.S. Bureau of Reclamation
- U.S. Forest Service
- Westbank Anglers
- WorldCast Anglers
Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram for more information about current and future projects!
The South Fork Initiative needs your help!
Connect with the South Fork Initiative